Thursday, June 21, 2012

How many people does it take to put up a tent?

Well, normally, it wouldn't take very many.  However, today we put up a big tent in one of the gypsy villages for evening services tonight through this weekend.  

To answer the took five British guys, three Hungarian guys, lots of gypsy children, and this American!  It was a big job (I have a new respect for traveling circus workers).  We started a little after 9 in the morning and by 2:00 (when we stopped for lunch) we were almost done.  With a little work in the afternoon, it was finally finished.  I never knew it would take so much work to put up a tent!

It's been a great first week on the ground here in Romania.  VERY BUSY, but VERY GOOD!  Just to give you a quick run down of the last couple of days:

Yesterday (Wednesday): I went to the airport at 4:00 in the morning with two guys from the British team that is here.  I came back, rested for an hour, and went back to Targu Mures (which is about 30-45 minutes away) with a gypsy couple who needed to go to the doctor.  When I got back, it was time for lunch with the group from England.  After lunch we headed to Glodeni/Sarpatak for a children's meeting.  This was from 3:00-6:30, and included stories, crafts, and games.  After a quick supper in a nearby village, we returned for an evangelism meeting at 8:00.  After that, there was a church business meeting to decide if two men were ready to join the church.  They both shared their testimony with us and were then voted into the church.  By this time, it was after 10:00.  I went home with Attila (the pastor here) to discuss some business about the coming weeks, and eventually returned home after 11:00.  

Today (Thursday): We started the day with building the tent.  We had the same children's meeting in the afternoon from 3:00-6:30, dinner, and an evangelism meeting.  After the meeting tonight, I went with Apalina (another gypsy village) to see a man about a horse...literally.  This man needed a ride to meet someone about some horse business.  While we were there (keep in mind, this was after 10:00) the street was ALIVE!  Everyone was out on the street.  This is one of the things I love about going there.  It's so good to meet with the people just out on the street.  I had a few good conversations even in the short time we were there.  I arrived home just a little while ago, and it's now 11:40.

Whew!  It's been a long two days, but it sure has been great!  I promise some pictures are to come, as well as a video of the apartment where I'm living.  I'm just too tired to do it tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment