Friday, June 15, 2012

God will "supply all you need...just in time."

This message comes from a quote from Corrie Ten Boom.  It was shared with me by my mom who heard it from a dear friend (and former colleague of mine).  Here is the full passage:

"When I was a little girl, " I said, "I went to my father and said, "Daddy, I am afraid that I will never be strong enough to be a martyr for Jesus Christ." 

"Tell me," said Father, "When you take a train trip to Amsterdam, when do I give you the money for the ticket? Three weeks before?" 

"No, Daddy, you give me the money for the ticket just before we get on the train."

"That is right," my father said, "and so it is with God's strength. Our Father in Heaven knows when you will need the strength to be a martyr for Jesus Christ. He will supply all you need – just in time…"

This little passage has meant a lot to me in the last few days.  I don't know that I'll ever face some of the questions that Corrie Ten Boom faced, especially about having to be a martyr for my faith in Jesus Christ.  However, there have been unknowns in my life...places where it would have been easy to not trust and stay in the comfortable places.  I have prayed often for the Lord to keep me from giving in to a comfortable life of the known if He has other plans for me.

So just a few specific examples of how this has actually played out in my life just this week:
  • I have not been able to find someone to stay in my house this summer while I'm gone and in to October.  I had given up on it, just trusting that God would provide other means.  Well, just as I was "needing the ticket for the train" (also known as Tuesday before I left), this was taken care of.
  • On a smaller, but equally amazing note, I was needing to get a document signed and witnessed by two people on Wednesday (the day I flew out).  I actually needed to get it notarized, but I "knew" there would be no time for that.  I wasn't trusting God for the "ticket".  As I was at the airport, we asked at the information booth, and the lady not only witnessed the signing of the document...she was a notary and she put her official seal on it.  God provided...just in time.
I know I will still fail with this in the future, but God is teaching me more and more to trust in Him to provide for the things I need.  Sometimes this will be in enough time for me to be comfortable with the decision.  Sometimes it will be "just in time" in order that I will continue to put my trust only in Him and not in myself.

Here's one final quote from Corrie Ten Boom for this post.  Thanks everyone for your prayers!
  
“Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God.”

― Corrie ten Boom


No comments:

Post a Comment