Thursday, July 19, 2012

Handball and Volleyball Championships...what???

I hate that I'm so behind in letting everyone know what's going on with the ministry here in Romania.  I'm currently in Sibiu doing some "shopping" so I only have time to update you quickly on what's been happening here.  

Let me start with two weeks ago...well really two and a half now! :)


My small group in Harghita 
We took a group of about 75 young people from six different villages/cities away to a camp near the mountains in Romania.  Each morning we had a Bible study time and then broke out into small groups.  These small groups were our teams for the week.  In the afternoons, we had a mini-sports competition everyday (soccer, volleyball, and handball) with the final for each being on the last day.  As most of you know, I'm about the least athletic person on earth.  Because of the make-up of the groups, I ended up having to play everyday, despite my strongest protests!  This was especially true on handball day.  I've never played handball, and I've only seen it once or twice on TV.  One of the guys on our team, Sandor, was a huge encouragement to me, and with his help, I was able to play.  Our team made it to the final game!  We played well together, but I do have to give most of the credit to Sandor, who is a terrific player.  In addition to the sports, we also had an evening evangelism meeting.  During these meetings, many people made decisions about following Christ!  What a blessing it was to be a part of that week.

Sandor and I...he is the great encourager!
Last week, we had a sports camp in Gornesti.  Yes, it was ANOTHER week of sports for me.  I don't think I've ever played so much in my life!  It was also a week for sports firsts...I was a part of the champion volleyball team.  I was also on the lead handball team (we didn't get to play the final game because of time...but we were in first place! :) )

This week, we had many of the same people from the first camp, and it was a great time to see them be faithful to their decisions.  In the evenings, we had many opportunities to share and sing. Several times we ended up just singing in the street or in the park for an hour or more.  God is really working among the youth in Gornesti!  Please pray that they will continue to be strong as they go about their daily lives.  
Well, it's time to get back to the campers now.  We're with children this week...doing the camp that I've done the last two years.  I will just have to fill you in on that later.  Thanks for the prayers and the support!  It's been great to know that people from all over are a part of what's going on here in Romania!

No comments:

Post a Comment