Saturday, May 11, 2013


Dear Friends,
Can you believe it?  I'm actually updating my blog!  Is this a day for celebration or what?  :)

I have had a lot of opportunities in the last month to catch up with some people in person, and many of you mentioned that my blog was out of date.  Thank you for your encouragement to keep up with it.  I've decided...at least for now...to just fill you in on the most recent things happening here and then I will hopefully be back on track with trying to blog once a week.  I'd also like to start taking at least two pictures a week to post.  I'm thinking that if I write it here, I'll have the accountability to make it happen. :)

Since Christmas, I've been busy with school, road trips (some of my choosing, others to help out our community), and working with the people here in general.  We've received many guests during this time, as well.  God has really been faithful to help us in our ministry here.  There have been times when I didn't know where or how I would receive what I needed, but God always provided.  One of the biggest lessons I'm learning now is about trusting Him for all of my needs.  It's amazing how doing this can bring so much peace to your life.  In the times when I didn't know how I would be able to pay a bill or make another trip in the car without more gas, God was faithful and I never worried.  Thanks be to the One who is always faithful!

This past weekend, I had the privilege of being in Hungary for the installation of a new director at Word of Life Hungary (Elet Szava).   Although I would have loved to have had more time with my friends, it was such a great time of celebration of what God has done through faithful servants over the years there in Hungary.  For me, it was a bittersweet day because I saw my friend become the new director, but I also saw a very Godly and wise leader moving on.  I'm very thankful for all that Alex Konya has done in his time at WOL Hungary.  I had the privilege of being a student and an intern there while he was the leader, and I'm very thankful for his example of leadership.  I'm especially thankful for all that he showed me about trusting in God even when it seems the answers aren't coming as we expect, and when it would be easy to try and look to the world for help.  I'm also thankful to have worked with Csikos Gabor during my time there.  He was the Dean of Students while I was a student, and he had stepped into other roles while I was an intern.  During that time we got to work closely together and I learned to really appreciate his service and his friendship.  Thank you to these two gentlemen who have led so faithfully and have provided good examples for me.

I was also able to bring two good friends from Romania with me to Hungary.  Zozo and Jeno are both great friends and they are both an important part of my life here in Romania.  It was great to have them see the place and the people and places that were such a big part of my life.  Besides, one of them may even be a prospective Bible School student in the future.  Here are a few pictures of us in Budapest.

As I write this, I'm sitting in the church in Apalina, with the children in the other room studying.  At the same time, some of the kids that I taught and have worked with in America are taking state tests this week.  I'm reminded how much I love what I get to do with these kids, and I'm thankful that God has given me so many different experiences that have guided and shaped who I am.






Zozo and Dezso: two of my greatest friends together!
Ok, I think that's enough for now.  It's good to be back "in touch".  And I'd love to hear from you, too!  For missionaries, notes of even the smallest length mean a lot.  Here's how you can get in touch with me: jpcrook@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment